Daraga mayor tagged in Batocabe slay set for hospital release
MANILA, Philippines – Daraga, Albay Mayor Carlwyn Baldo, who was implicated in the killing of Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Rodel Batocabe and his police escort, SPO2 Orlando Diaz in December last year, may be released from hospital this week, almost two weeks after he complained of an asthma attack inside his detention cell.
“[Scheduled] for discharge na raw si Mayor Baldo [from the hospital] (Mayor Baldo is scheduled for discharge from the hospital),” Chief Supt. Arnel Escobal, director of the Police Regional Office 5 (Bicol Region), told INQUIRER.net.
Chief Inspector Malu Calubaquib, spokesperson of the Bicol regional police, said Baldo may be released from the hospital this week.
“Ibabalik na rin [siya] sa detention cell anytime (He’ll return to his detention cell anytime),” Calubaquib said.
Baldo reportedly suffered from hyperventilation at the night of his arrest on January 22 for alleged illegal possession of firearms, ammunition and explosives.
Baldo was supposed to undergo inquest proceedings on January 23 but submitted to the police a certificate of hospital confinement instead.
He now faces four different criminal complaints – illegal possession of firearms and ammunition, illegal possession of an explosive, double murder and multiple frustrated homicide.
He also faces an administrative complaint filed by the PNP before the Office of the Ombudsman.
Baldo had denied involvement in the murder of Batocabe.
The Department of the Interior and Local Government last week ordered Vice Mayor Victor Perete to take over the post of Baldo. /gsg
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.