NaiaX builders draw traffic council’s IRE
The Palace-created superbody in charge of easing traffic wants an explanation and is considering legal action over the “uncoordinated” demolition works carried out by the builders of Ninoy Aquino International Airport Expressway (NaiaX), which aggravated road congestion in southern Metro Manila on Friday.
The Interagency Council on Traffic (I-ACT) will require officials of San Miguel Corp.’s Vertex Tollways Development Corp. and DM Consunji Inc. to explain why they did not coordinate with the council when they started the demolition of NaiaX’s Skyway ramp.
Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) general manager Tim Orbos noted that Friday’s roadworks were ill-timed since thousands of people were headed to the airport that day for the long weekend leading to All Saints Day.
“We want to find out what happened. We’ll ask them to explain, but if need be [we’ll] seek legal remedy,’’ Orbos said on Saturday. “We want to get to the bottom of this to prevent [similar incidents] from happening again.”
“We will assess the damage then determine the point (where) we will file a case for civil damages. If there are government personnel involved in their action, then proper representation with the Office of the Ombudsman will be made.”
As traffic got worse around Naia Terminal 3, particularly on Andrews Avenue, Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade told I-ACT to order Skyway O&M Corp. to suspend works at the ramp.
But the Department of Transportation said that by the time DMCI stopped the demolition works, one lane had already become impassable.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.