DOJ probing 5 ‘narco generals’
The Department of Justice (DOJ) is doing its own investigation against five Philippine National Police (PNP) senior officers or former officers allegedly involved in the illegal drug trade.
“We are working on our own to get evidence against the ‘narco generals,'” Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II said in a text message to reporters on Tuesday.
The five are retired Deputy Director Gen. Marcelo Garbo; retired Chief Supt. and now Daanbantayan, Cebu Mayor Vicente Loot; Police Director Joel Pagdilao; and Chief Superintendents Edgardo Tinio and Bernardo Diaz.
Last month, President Rodrigo Duterte made public the names of the five generals as protectors of illegal drugs.
He said he is pained that the generals were educated in the country’s premier military school funded by the people’s money, and yet they went wayward.
The generals have denied Duterte’s allegations. RAM/rga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.