Gabriela solon to lead House committee on poverty alleviation
Gabriela Rep. Emmi De Jesus led the list of representatives who were chosen as chairpersons of pertinent House of Representatives committees.
Majority floor leader Rudy Farinas on Monday announced the following chairpersons of House committees:
- Dangerous drugs – Surigao Del Norte Rep. Robert Ace Barbers
- Interparliamentary relations diplomacy – Pangasinan Rep. Rosemarie Baby Arenas
- Muslim affairs – AMIN Rep. Sitti Turabin Hataman
- National defense and security – Pangasinan Rep. Amado Espino Jr.
- Overseas workers affairs – Buhay Rep. Mariano Michael Velarde Jr.
- Population and family relations – Laguna Rep. Sol Aragones
- Poverty alleviation – Gabriela Rep. Emmi De Jesus
- Social services – Palawan Rep. Frederick Abueg
- Youth and sports development – Abono Rep. Conrado Estrella III
- East Asian growth area – Davao Del Sur Rep. Mercedes Cagas
De Jesus of Gabriela got committee chairpersonship with the Makabayan bloc of lawmakers joining the majority coalition when they voted for the winning Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez.
Bayan Muna Rep. Carlos Zarate was also chosen as chair of the committee on natural resources.
President Rodrigo Duterte had a good working relationship with the Left due to his support of resuming the peace talks with the Communist Party of the Philippines.
Former Anakpawis Rep. Rafael Mariano is now Agrarian Reform Secretary and Gabriela Rep. Liza Maza now heads the National Anti-Poverty Commission. Former UP professor and activist Judy Taguiwalo is social welfare secretary. JE
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.