No need yet to declare state of nat’l emergency after magnitude 7 earthquake — Bongbong Marcos
MANILA, Philippines — President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. said there is no need as of yet to declare a state of national emergency following the magnitude 7.0 earthquake that hit Abra province, and was felt in other parts of Luzon on Wednesday morning.
In a press briefing on Wednesday, Marcos said only two regions — Region 1 and the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) — are so far reportedly affected by the quake.
He explained that a state of national emergency is automatically declared once a calamity affects three regions.
“Hindi naman naapektuhan ang tatlo[ng region]. So far, we can say na it’s Region 1 and CAR, so I don’t think it’s necessary right now to declare a national emergency,” the President said.
(The number of affected regions did not yet reach three. So far, we can say that only affected are Region 1 and CAR, so I don’t think it’s necessary right now to declare a national emergency.)
However, this will still depend on the information that comes in as the situation develops, Marcos said.
“Marami pang information ang hindi nakakarating sa atin, baka mangyari ‘yun; I hope not kasi sana limited na nga dito sa Abra hanggang sa Ilocos Sur, Ilocos Norte, La Union,” he said.
(There is information that has yet to reach, so that may still happen. I hope not and this is just limited to Abra and Ilocos Sur, Ilocos Norte, and La Union.)
A magnitude 7 quake hit northeast of Langilang, Abra, at 8:43 a.m. on Wednesday, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology reported.
Several structures and bridges reportedly collapsed in the town of Lagangilang in Abra.