Ople 'reflecting' on Marcos camp's offer to head Dept. of Migrant Workers | Inquirer News
Close  

Ople ‘reflecting’ on Marcos camp’s offer to head Dept. of Migrant Workers

/ 11:50 AM May 18, 2022
Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) advocate Susan "Toots" Ople is contemplating the offer of presumptive president Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. for her to return to the field of government service as secretary of the relatively new Department of Migrant Workers (DMW).

Susan “Toots” Ople. INQUIRER.net file photo

MANILA, Philippines — Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) advocate Susan “Toots” Ople is contemplating the offer of presumptive president Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. for her to return to the field of government service as secretary of the relatively new Department of Migrant Workers (DMW).

Ople, founder and president of the non-profit organization Blas Ople Policy Center, confirmed on Wednesday that Marcos Jr. had offered the post during their meeting on Friday. Former Labor Secretary Benny Laguesma, Cong. Anton Lagdameo, and Marcos Jr.’s spokesperson Atty. Vic Rodriguez was also in attendance.

ADVERTISEMENT

“He [BBM] spoke about the need to get the new department up and running, and for it to care for our OFWs and also develop programs for their families, especially the children of migrant workers,” Ople shared.

Since then, she has been consulting family members, advisers, and stakeholders to seek clarity on her pending decision.

FEATURED STORIES

“I am now in a process of discernment and consultations – because I am aware of the enormity of the task and the challenges involved,” Ople said.

Should she accept the government position, Ople shared on CNN Philippines’ New Day that her first priority would be to implement the Department of Migrant Workers Act, and to ensure that the DMW structure is capable of addressing the concerns of OFWs and their families.

In 2021, Malacañang approved the creation of the DMW to oversee the affairs of OFWs and implement measures to make sure overseas workers’ rights are protected.

READ: Duterte signs law creating Department of Migrant Workers

“That would really be the first order of the day — to put that structure together, to make sure it’s functional, and to service the needs of our OFWs and their families. This was also brought up in our meeting with presumptive president Marcos. He wants to serve not just our OFWs but also the families of OFWs,” Ople said.

Rodriguez confirmed on Tuesday that the Marcos camp had already asked Ople and Laguesma to serve as department secretaries under the Marcos administration.

RELATED STORIES: 

ADVERTISEMENT

Marcos eyes Laguesma, Toots Ople to head labor, migrant workers departments 

Department of Migrant Workers not yet fully constituted

JPV

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr., Migrant Workers Act, Ople, Toots Ople
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.