DOJ to NBI: Probe killing of South Cotabato lawyer
MANILA, Philippines — Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra has ordered the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to investigate the killing of a human rights lawyer in South Cotabato last week.
In a department order issued on Monday, Guevarra said the NBI, through officer-in-charge Eric Distor, is “hereby directed and granted authority to conduct an investigation and case build-up on the killing of Atty. Juan G. Macababbad… and if evidence warrants, to file appropriate charges against all persons involved and found responsible for any unlawful act in connection therewith.”
“Further, OIC Distor is hereby directed to submit reports on the progress of the subject investigation directly to the Office of the Secretary within 10 days and periodically thereafter,” Guevarra said.
Citing reports from the police, Surallah Mayor Antonio Bendita said Macababbad was opening the gate of his house in Barangay Poblacion at past 5 p.m. when he was shot by unidentified gunmen on motorcycles.
The 68-year-old lawyer died while being rushed to Javelosa Hospital.
Philippine National Police chief Gen. Guillermo Eleazar has likewise vowed a thorough investigation.