Duterte’s public address postponed due to some PSG members contracting COVID – Go
MANILA, Philippines — Some members of the Presidential Security Group (PSG) have tested positive for COVID-19, forcing the postponement of President Rodrigo Duterte’s regular public address this Wednesday, his former aide and Senator Christopher “Bong” Go said.
Go did not specify how many members of the President’s security team were infected with COVID-19.
“The President’s Talk to the People address is postponed to avoid putting him at risk due to the reported COVID-19 cases in the PSG. Even Secretary Lorenzana was also found positive of COVID-19 just yesterday,” Go said Wednesday in a message to reporters.
“However, there is nothing to worry about when it comes to PRRD’s health,” he said, adding that the President is in good health and they’ve together, and his work is still ongoing.
INQUIRER.net has requested comment from PSG Commander Brig. Gen. Jesus Durante III but has received no response as of this writing.
As early as September last year, the PSG admitted to using unauthorized vaccines to inoculate members.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted the PSG a compassionate use license in February for 10,000 doses of Sinopharm’s Covid-19 vaccine.
Duterte’s regular Wednesday public address, according to presidential spokesperson Harry Roque, will be rescheduled for next week.
The President’s most recent public address was on March 29, the same day he welcomed the delivery of one million doses of procured CoronaVac, a COVID-19 vaccine produced by Sinovac BioTech of China.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.