Despite posting bail, Baldo will remain in detention — PNP
MANILA, Philippines – Even if he has already posted bail, former Daraga, Albay mayor Carlwyn Baldo will remain in detention, the Police Regional Office 5 (PRO-5) has clarified.
PRO-5 Director Brig. Gen. Arnel Escobal on Wednesday said there is still a pending motion for reconsideration (MR) filed by the prosecution before the Regional Trial Court Branch 10 in Legazpi City, Albay.
“As per information, ex Mayor Baldo cannot be released yet from jail because of the pending MR filed by the prosecution office against the granting of bail to Baldo,” Escobal said in a text message to reporters.
“MR must be resolved first before Baldo could be released,” he added.
Baldo is accused of masterminding the murder of Ako Bicol party-list Rep. Rodel Batocabe and his police aide Master Sgt. Orlando Diaz. He was arrested for two counts of murder. Baldo was allowed by the court to post a P3 million bail per count of murder, or a P4 million surety of properties per each count.
Baldo and Batocabe were poised to clash in Daraga’s mayoral race in the May 2019 midterm elections. At least six gunmen ended Batocabe’s life while he and Diaz were waiting for their vehicle in Barangay Burgos.
Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Oscar Albayalde had previously tagged Baldo as the mastermind. The PNP’s allegation was denied by Baldo. /muf
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.