Close  

Ex-VP Binay to face trial in Makati parking building case

/ 01:18 PM September 05, 2017
Jejomar Binay

Former Vice President Jejomar Binay. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO/LYN RILLON

The Sandiganbayan Third Division has found probable cause to hold on trial former vice president Jejomar Binay and his son, dismissed Makati mayor Jejomar Erwin “Junjun” Binay Jr., for malversation, graft and falsification of public documents over the alleged rigging of the procurement of the purportedly overpriced Makati car park building.

In a resolution promulgated Aug. 31, the anti-graft court said there is probable cause to hold them on trial after finding that it is “more likely than not” that they committed the charges filed.

ADVERTISEMENT

“After a careful evaluation of the records of the present cases, this Court finds the existence of probable cause in each of the cases for the issuance of warrants of arrest against all the accused including accused-movants, and to hold them for trial,” the court said.

The court said the alleged “simulated public bidding” involving the design and construction of the parking building “could not have been made without the participation of the accused.”

FEATURED STORIES

The court said there is no need to issue warrants of arrest against the accused, who have all posted bail for temporary liberty.

The court set the Binays’ arraignment on Sept. 29.

The court earlier found probable cause to hold on trial Binay Sr.’s son for his separate charges of graft and falsification of public documents.

While Binay Sr. was charged for rigging the first three phases of the building when he was Makati City mayor, Binay Jr. was charged for phases IV and V of the building when he succeeded his father in the city hall.

READ: Junjun Binay to face trial in Makati parking building case

Binay Sr. had been conditionally arraigned following the court’s denial of his motion to amend the terms of his conditional arraignment. The court entered a not guilty plea after he refused to enter a plea.

Binay Sr. served as Makati mayor from 1988 to 1998 and 2001 to 2010. He was elected vice president in 2010, but lost his presidential bid in 2016.

ADVERTISEMENT

Binay Jr. was Makati mayor in 2010 until he was dismissed from service in 2015 due to the charges. je

READ: Former VP Binay refuses to enter plea in overpriced building case 

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: case, Graft, Jejomar Binay, Makati, malversation, overpriced, parking building, Trial
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.