Duterte hands out cash to areas hit by ‘Nona’
KIDAPAWAN CITY—It was a trip that his aides said Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte wanted to be low key.
But since taking the plunge into the presidential derby, Duterte could no longer shake off publicity, whether wanted or not.
Duterte went to Oriental Mindoro and Sorsogon on Wednesday carrying some P11 million in financing aid to the two provinces that had been devastated by Typhoon “Nona.”
Emmanuel Piñol, former North Cotabato governor and one of Duterte’s closest friends, said the presidential candidate didn’t want media to cover his visit.
It did not escape the attention of local media, however.
Duterte’s visit was noticed by a photographer, Angela Maya, of the online news site Bicol Today and who snapped a picture of Duterte’s helicopter landing at the Gallanosa National High School in Irosin, Sorsogon province.
The picture spread on Facebook.
Bicol Today reported that Duterte delivered P500,000 each to the Sorsogon areas of Barcelona, Bulan, Bulusan, Casiguran, Castilla, Donsol, Gubat, Irosin, Juban, Magallanes, Matnog, Pilar, Prieto Diaz, Sta. Magdalena and Sorsogon City.
Christopher Go, Duterte’s close aide, confirmed the mayor’s visit to the two provinces and said the funds came from Davao City’s quick response fund.
Go said Duterte had not invited any journalist to cover his visit to the two provinces as he wanted it discreetly done as possible.
Piñol said Duterte also handed out P500,000 each to representatives of the Oriental Mindoro city of Calapan and towns of Baco, Gloria, Naujan, Pinamalayan, Pola and Victoria which he visited also on Wednesday. Williamor Magbanua, Inquirer Mindanao
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.