BuCor conducts another raid, includes jail guards’ office
The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) conducted another raid on Tuesday as part of their “Oplan Galugad” but this time, they have included in their raid the office of the jail guards at the medium security compound of the National Bilibid Prisons (NBP).
BuCor Director Ricardo Rainier Cruz said they have included the jail guards’ office after the raiding team came out empty handed from raiding the inmate’s detention facilities.
Seized items included GoPro, mobile phones, improvised deadly weapons, pornographic DVDs, alleged illegal drugs, , television sets, P18, 000 in cash, several roosters, laptops, surveillance cameras, WiFi sticks and sound system.
Also seized by the raiding team were 30 wooden paddles allegedly used by gangs inside the national penitentiary in the initiation of new members.
“Magsasagawa tayo ng mas malalimang imbestigasyon dito sa involvement ng ilang jail guards sa smuggling nitong mga contraband items,” Cruz said.
(We will conduct a deeper investigation here with regards involvement of jail guards in smuggling of contraband items.)
Initial report said six jail guards are being investigated after the raid though prison officials declined to elaborate on the matter.
Besides BuCor personnel, the raiding team also included members of the Philippine Army’s Explosive and Ordnance Division and K-9 units from the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency.
The operation started early morning has targeted Camp Sampaguita, the medium security compound of the NBP housing some 6, 137 inmates serving prison sentences 10 years and below.
They also inspected the detention cell housing road-rage-involved inmate Jason Ivler and actor and former Quezon City congressman Dennis Roldan.
Ivler was convicted last month by the Quezon City Regional Trial Court and was sentenced to reclusion perpetua or 40 years imprisonment for the killing of Renato Ebarle Jr. in a road rage incident in Quezon City in 2009.
Roldan was also sentenced to reclusion perpetua for kidnapping then-three-year-old Kenshi Yu in 2005.
The raid was the seventh conducted by BuCor as part of its “Oplan Galugad.” TVJ
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.