Comelec: Duterte allowed to withdraw COC for reelection, file another for presidency
In case his supporters are wondering, Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte can still withdraw his certificate of candidacy for reelection and file another one for president, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) said on Thursday.
Citing the poll body’s rules, Comelec spokesperson James Jimenez said Duterte is allowed to file another COC if he decided to seek the highest position in the land.
In case of a change of heart, Jimenez said a candidate is allowed to file two COCs and and decide to withdraw one, or file a COC, withdraw it, and file another as long as it is within the filing period.
“To my knowledge, you dont have to justify [the withdrawal],” Jimenez said.
Jimenez, however, refused to further speak about Duterte’s “speculative” case.
“At this spoint, speculative pa ‘yan so I can’t speak about that directly… Let’s go with the rules. For the case of the mayor, can we wait until something actually happens?” he said.
Duterte’s executive assistant Christopher “Bong” Go on Thursday filed the mayor’s COC for reelection on his behalf.
Duterte previously said in at least eight occasions that he will not run for president due to strong opposition from his family and a supposedly flawed government setup.
READ: Duterte’s final answer: I won’t run for president | It’s final: Duterte won’t run for president in 2016 | Duterte to seek re-election, not presidency, says aide
After asking for more time for “soul-searching,” Duterte apologized to his supporters last week and said anew that he will not seek the presidency.
“When all is said in the wake of this decision, perhaps we could find comfort in the thought that this is indeed a beautiful day to end a wild dream,” the mayor said, adding that he may seek reelection if his daughter Sara Duterte will not agree to run as mayor.
But in an Instagram post, Sara appeared to have joined his father’s supporters in urging him to run for president after posting a photo of her sporting a shaved head.
LOOK: Did Sara Duterte shave head to urge pa to run for president?
“I shaved my head while waiting #Duterte2016 #kalboparasapagbabago #NohairWecare. While we have no money, no machinery, and risk losing, #justDUit,” Duterte’s daughter said.
Duterte’s supporters made their presence felt at the Comelec headquarters in Intramuros, Manila, where the filing of COCs is now on its third day. JE
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.