Binay urged to stop ‘general denials,’ reveal ‘true wealth’
Following the freeze order issued over his alleged multi-million worth of bank accounts, Vice President Jejomar Binay should stop making “general denials” and start explaining his “true wealth” to the public, a former party-list representative said.
READ: Court freezes Binay assets
In a statement, Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) spokesperson and former Bayan Muna Representative Teddy Casiño urged the Binays to divulge their assets to the public and explain how they were acquired.
“The charges and the information revealed so far indicate corruption of such scandalous proportions that these cannot be dismissed by general denials or attribution to a demolition job by the Vice-president’s enemies,” he said, calling reports as “grave allegations of systematic plunder.”
Casiño also said other people involved should be properly investigated so the issue would not end up as “mere politicking.”
“It is the task of the Courts, the Ombudsman, the Department of Justice and related agencies to see to it that appropriate cases are properly filed,” he said.
The former congressman, however, did not limit his call to the Binays. He said administration allies involved in monetary scams, specifically those tagged in the misuse of the Priority Development Assistance Fund, should also be probed and charged.
“Even as we seek truth and accountability with regard to the Binays, we reiterate our demand – ‘Lahat ng sangkot, dapat managot,’” Casiño said. “The matter of Binay’s alleged corruption should not be used to cover-up the far bigger systemic corruption under the Aquino regime’s pork barrel system and the public-private partnership projects.”
Casino did not also dismiss politicking, particularly Binay’s presidential bid in 2016, as a possible reason behind the freeze order on Binay’s assets, among other allegations.
READ: Binay camp: LP to use AMLC report to continue demolition job vs VP
“It is only now however that associates of the President are going after Binay because of the need to position favorably for 2016. That, rather than any noble motives, explains the current revelations of Binay’s corruption,” he said, adding that the allegations may fade if ever Binay decided to pull out from the race.
“Corruption is the norm.The ruling elite, whatever their political affiliation, engage in such obscene, corrupt practices where impunity is the rule rather than the exception,” he added.
Last May 11, the Court of Appeals granted the petition of the Anti-Money Laundering Council (AMLC) to freeze the vice president’s P600-million worth of bank accounts, in connection to the investigations being conducted by the Office of the Ombudsman on the allegedly overpriced Makati City Hall Building II and the Makati Science High School.
On Thursday, Binay broke his silence and denied that he has hidden wealth, adding that only five of the 242 bank accounts in the freeze order were under his name.
READ: Binay: I don’t have hidden wealth
READ: Binay: My wealth acquired legally; I’ve other businesses
The AMLC reportedly submitted a report to the Court of Appeals showing that the deposits under Binay’s name, including his son and alleged dummies, already reached P11 billion since 2008. KS
READ: AMLC: Binay, allies deposits reach P11B
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.