Whistleblowers who participated in ‘pork’ scam should be jailed—Recto | Inquirer News
Close  

Whistleblowers who participated in ‘pork’ scam should be jailed—Recto

By: - Reporter / @MAgerINQ
/ 10:30 AM May 30, 2014

Senator Ralph Recto. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO / GRIG C. MONTEGRANDE

MANILA, Philippines—Senate President Pro Tempore Ralph Recto now wants “pork barrel” scam whistleblowers like Benhur Luy to be held accountable by sending them to jail for their alleged participation in the scam.

“Lahat ng whistleblower na may kinalaman dyan dapat makulong,” Recto said in an interview Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

(All the whistleblowers involved should be jailed)

Recto issued the statement after his name appeared anew in Luy’s digital files submitted to the Senate blue ribbon committee by the National Bureau of Investigtion.

FEATURED STORIES

The senator was among the lawmakers whose names appeared in the draft letters in Luy’s files supposedly requesting fund assistance from government agencies like the Department of Agriculture.

The draft letters though had no signatures of the lawmakers or letterheads of their offices.

Recto repeatedly denied any participation in the scam and even released a certification from the Department of Agrarian Reform’s office, saying that the agency has not received a letter from him dated August 30, 2010.

While Luy had earlier admitted during a Senate hearing that they had forged the signatures of some lawmakers, the senator said it was only now that the public saw actual documents of the draft letters.

“Panagutan nila ‘yang mga ginawa nilang ‘yan,” a visibly irked Recto said.

(They should be held responsible for what they did)

“Pwede silang maging state witness pero hindi pwedeng walang kulong.”

ADVERTISEMENT

(They can be state witnesses, but they cannot get away without being jailed.)

“Hindi dapat libre. Merong pa ding pananagutan dapat lahat ‘yan. Gumawa (sila) ng katarantaduhan e,” the senator added.

(They should not be scot-free. They should also be held responsible. They committed a felony.)

Recto said Luy and those other responsible for the fake letters should also be called again to the Senate.

“Oo sila dapat ang magpaliwanag (Yes, they are the ones who should explain) Why do they have these entries? Why did they draft these letters?” he asked.
RELATED STORIES

Luy files, Napoles list: Who’s in, who’s out

Recto shows DAR certification to belie he’s on Luy’s list

Ruby Tuason gets immunity for PDAF scam, not yet for Malampaya Fund

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Benhur Luy, Luy files, pork barrel scam, Ralph Recto, Senate, whistleblowers
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.