Napoles bid for bail junked
MANILA, Philippines—The Makati City Regional Trial Court Branch 150 denied the petition for bail of Janet Lim-Napoles in the serious illegal detention case filed against her and her brother Reynald Lim by pork barrel scam whistle-blower Benhur Luy.
In a 15-page order issued Thursday, Makati RTC Judge Elmo Alameda ruled that the evidence presented by the prosecution is strong, which leads the court to conclude that there is enough basis to prosecute Napoles for serious illegal detention.
“The court agrees with the prosecution that the evidence presented so far is strong and sufficient to foreclose accused Janet Lim-Napoles’ plea to be granted bail,” the Makati Court said in its order.
It stated further that “verily the quantum of evidence presented is strong which leads this court to conclude that the crime of Serious Illegal Detention has been committed as charged and that the accused Janet Lim-Napoles will probably be punished if the law is administered.”
The court added that the testimonies of witnesses are clear and convincing.
At the same time, the court also said that the prosecution was also able to establish that Napoles and her brother conspired to detain Luy.
“The mode and manner in which Jojo [Reynald] and Janet perpetrated the offense can be deduced or can be inferred from their acts themselves which points to a joint purpose and design, concerted action and community of interest,” the court said.
Napoles, her brother Reynald Lim allegedly detained Luy from December to March this year for his knowledge about Napoles’ racket of using fake non-government organizations (NGOs) to pocket public funds in connivance with some legislators and government employees.