Turnover priest in rape case, Butuan bishop urged
MANILA, Philippines—Women group Gabriella urged the Catholic Church to turn over to authorities the priest who allegedly raped a 17-year-old girl in Butuan City, a report on 990AM said Tuesday.
Gabriella said that Butuan Bishop Juan de Dios Pueblos should stop shielding Father Raul Cabonce, who allegedly raped the girl, the report said.
The group said that by taking the priest into custody, Pueblos practically condoned the abusive act purportedly committed against the victim, said the report.
Pueblos on Saturday confirmed that Cabonce of the St. Anne Parish in Tubay, Agusan del Norte was in his custody.
The alleged victim, a parish scholar, filed charges of rape, acts of lasciviousness and child abuse against Cabonce at the Agusan del Norte prosecutor’s office last Thursday.
She said that Cabonce sexually abused her on five different occasions since September last year.
Cabonce has denied the allegations, dismissing them as “trumped–up” charges concocted by his unidentified detractors.
Danica Hermogenes, INQUIRER.net
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.