Magalong orders testing of water sources in Baguio as gastroenteritis cases soar
BAGUIO CITY — Mayor Benjamin Magalong on Wednesday, Jan. 10, ordered the mass testing of water sources in the city following the rising number of cases of acute gastroenteritis.
In a statement, Magalong said he convened a team to address what he described as an “emergency,” as some people reported suffering from nausea, vomiting, fever, and abdominal pain after dining at several local food establishments.
“We have to speed up the investigation, test as many as we can, and get results as soon as possible. From the data, we have to identify the common denominator among the incidents to get to the bottom of the problem, identify the cause and source of the contamination, and address this health problem,” Magalong said.
According to him, the mass testing would include water delivery companies and government and private deep wells.
Magalong said force multipliers from the local police had been deployed alongside personnel from Baguio City Health Services and the Baguio Water District to determine the cause of the problem.
At least 218 establishments will be subjected to rapid tests using total dissolved solid (TDS) testers to trace the cause of the contamination.
The test will also cover 80 households with around 175 cases of acute gastroenteritis.
“Those found positive will be subjected to confirmatory microbial analyses,” Magalong said.
Some 350 cases of acute gastroenteritis had been recorded in the city since Dec. 21 last year, according to the city health office. INQ