NDRRMC: 94 confirmed dead from Paeng; 56 others for validation
MANILA, Philippines — The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) on Thursday confirmed 94 people died due to Severe Tropical Storm Paeng (international name: Nalgae) as it is still validating reports on 56 other fatalities.
So far, the NDRRMC said it received reports of 150 deaths, mainly from the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao or BARMM (63), Calabarzon (33), and Western Visayas (29).
It also received reports of 36 missing persons and 128 wounded from the tropical cyclone.
The NDRRMC also said the number of people distressed by Paeng’s assault had reached 3,963,55, including 1,212,301 who were displaced and 173,957 who are still in evacuation centers.
Local governments in 292 cities and municipalities across the country have declared a state of calamity.
Agri, infrastructure losses
On Paeng’s damage to agricultural sector, the NDRRMC said 69,260.74 hectares of fields were ravaged, affecting 59,381 farmers as well as fisher folk. As of November 3, crop losses reached P2,441,804,786.14.
Meanwhile, the NDRRMC’s latest data showed that 367 infrastructures such as schools, roads, and government facilities worth P2,833,910,844.5 were damaged by Paeng.
It also showed that 154 areas still have unstable power supply while 38 others remain without communication lines.
As for seaports, the NDRRMC’s November 3 report indicated that 56 remain non-operational.
Click here for more weather related news.
Responding to appeals for help, the Inquirer is extending its relief efforts to the families affected by Typhoon Paeng. Cash donations may be deposited in the Inquirer Foundation Corp. Banco De Oro (BDO) Current Account No.: 007960018860 and through Maya