Family members of Percy Lapid face threats amid investigation | Inquirer News

Family members of Percy Lapid face threats amid investigation

By: - Reporter / @zacariansINQ
/ 08:40 PM October 24, 2022
In view of the ongoing investigation into the murder of radio commentator Percy Lapid, members of his family had been receiving threats and extortion attempts, according to his brother Roy Mabasa.

CALL FOR PRUDENCE The family of journalist Percival “Percy Lapid” Mabasa asked the police to be cautious in investigating his murder on Oct. 3. Visiting his wake at Manila Memorial Park in Parañaque City on Wednesday, Philippine National Police chief Gen. Rodolfo Azurin Jr. said there were “different persons of interest” but no suspect yet in the killing. —GRIG C. MONTEGRANDE

MANILA, Philippines — Given the ongoing investigation into the killing of radio commentator Percy Lapid, his family members had been receiving threats and extortion attempts, according to his brother Roy Mabasa.

Mabasa, a veteran journalist, said this in a Facebook post as he thanked the public for their support for the late radio commentator.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Ito ay sa kabila nang naglipanang mga siraulo na nagpapahatid naman ng kung ano-anong uri ng pananakot sa pagtatangkang wasakin ang aming determinasyon na papanagutin ang mga nasa likod ng pagpatay kay Ka Percy,” said Mabasa.

(This is despite the lunatics that go around sending different threats to destroy our resolve to hold accountable those behind Ka Percy’s murder.)

FEATURED STORIES

“Kasama na din diyan ang mga extortionists at mapagsamantala na gusto pang pagkakitaan ang mga namatayan sa kung ano-anong paraan,” he added.

(That also includes extortionists and exploiters who want to make money out of the people who lost someone in any way.)

He added, however, that despite these threats and challenges, the fight to attain justice for Lapid continues.

DAY 21 – Percy Lapid Mabasa CaseNgayong araw po magsisimula ang Preliminary Investigation (P.I.) sa pagpaslang kay Ka…

Posted by Roy Mabasa on Sunday, October 23, 2022

Meanwhile, in an interview over GMA’s DZBB, Mabasa also revealed that he could not go to the Department of Justice’s (DOJ) preliminary investigation on Lapid’s murder due to the death threats he has been receiving.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Katakot-takot nang death threat ang inaabot ko. Kaya nga hindi ako nakapunta sa DOJ para sa kaalaman niyo lang dahil may banta po sa aking buhay,” said Mabasa.

(I’m getting terrible death threats. That’s why I didn’t go to the DOJ just for your information because there was a threat to my life.)

“Masyadong brazen ‘yung mga messages na pinapadala sa akin sa cellphone, sa messenger, may video chat pa. Alam niyo kung gano’n ‘yung natatanggap niyo under the circumstances, iisipin niyo pa ba lumabas?” he added.

(The messages sent to me on cellphones, messengers, and even video chats are too brazen. When that’s what you receive under the circumstances, will you even think about going out?)

Mabasa also stated in the same interview that their family had already demanded a second independent autopsy on Jun Villamor — the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) inmate who allegedly negotiated the murder of Lapid — requesting Dr. Raquel Fortun, a forensic pathologist, to perform it.

According to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Villamor died inside the NBP shortly after the confessed gunman, Joel Escorial, surrendered to police and faced the media.

But Fortun raised questions on the autopsy done behind the “middleman,” pointing out the lack of a clear timeline on the autopsy and that embalming procedures were done on Villamor’s body.

Lapid died after motorcycle-riding men ambushed him at the gate of a Las Piñas City subdivision.

RELATED STORIES:

BuCor’s Bantag among 160 persons of interest in Percy Lapid slay 

DOJ chief Remulla suspends BuCor director general Gerald Bantag 

JPV/abc
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Death threat, DoJ, NBP, Percy Lapid, threat
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2023 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.