Dominican Republic confirms first case of monkeypox
SANTO DOMINGO — The Dominican Republic has confirmed its first case of monkeypox in a patient who arrived in late June from the United States, Health Minister Daniel Rivera said on Wednesday.
The 25-year-old man arrived in Santo Domingo on June 28, and shortly afterward was notified that a person with whom he had been in contact in the United States was infected with the disease.
“He made himself available to infectious disease doctors and was kept in isolation” at the Air Force hospital, Rivera said at a press conference.
Health authorities are observing four other people, including relatives who had been in close contact with the patient since his arrival in Santo Domingo, Rivera said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.