Sans court order, SUV owner in Mandaluyong hit-and-run may still leave PH — BI | Inquirer News

Sans court order, SUV owner in Mandaluyong hit-and-run may still leave PH — BI

/ 08:30 AM June 15, 2022
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra has placed the owner of the Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) that ran over a security guard in Mandaluyong under the government's Immigration Lookout Bulletin Order (ILBO). suv owner

CAUGHT ON DASHCAM | The security guard is shown being run over by this motorist in this screengrab of the dashcam footage. (Video courtesy of MIKO ANGELO RAMOS)

MANILA, Philippines — Without a court-issued order or arrest warrant, the owner of the Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) who ran over a security guard in Mandaluyong last week may still be able to leave the country, according to the Bureau of Immigration (BI).

BI spokesperson Dana Sandoval said in an interview on Teleradyo that the suspect, Jose Antonio Sanvicente, who remained at large, was only placed on the Immigration’s lookout bulletin, which essentially means government agents may only monitor but not prevent any travel abroad.

ADVERTISEMENT

With a lookout order, the BI is tasked to inform the Department of Justice (DOJ) if it comes into contact with the SUV owner in any of the country’s airports or sea ports.

“Kailangan po iinform namin ang DOJ at saka NPS (National Prosecution Office) to check din po at the last minute, kung meron pong na-issue sa kanya, maaaring hold departure order or warrant of arrest or whatever order has been issued by the court,” Sandoval went on.

FEATURED STORIES

(We need to inform the DOJ and the NPS to check if at the last minute, a hold departure order or a warrant of arrest or whatever order a court can issue has been handed down against the subject.)

“From there, kung wala pong na-issue sa kanya, then he will be allowed to depart but kukunin po lahat ng details ng kanyang travel,” she added.

(From there, if there is none, then he will be allowed to depart but we will record all the details of his travel.)

As per the bureau’s records, the owner has no recent travel and has not fled the country, said Sandoval

Earlier, the DOJ issued an immigration lookout order against Sanvicente, who was identified as the owner of the SUV.

Last June 5, the vehicle ran over a security guard manning the traffic near a mall in Mandaluyong. The incident was caught on a dashcam and has gone viral.

However, police said there is no proof that the SUV owner was driving the car when the incident happened.

The security guard sustained several injuries and had to be monitored at an intensive care unit.  He was released from the hospital last Friday.

EDV
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: BI, Bureau of Immigration, lookout bulletin order, Mandaluyong hit-and-run incident, SUV owner
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2023 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.