Lakas-CMD gains more members in House
MANILA, Philippines — Twenty-three members of the House of Representatives in the incoming 19th Congress have joined the Lakas-Christian Muslim Democrats (Lakas-CMD).
This brought the total membership of the political party in the lower chamber to 50.
The congressmen took their oath before House Majority Leader Martin Romualdez, who serves as Lakas-CMD president, on Thursday.
The House members who joined Lakas-CMD are as follows:
- Rep. David “Jayjay” C. Suarez (Quezon);
- Rep. Patrick Michael “PM” D. Vargas (Quezon City);
- Rep. Dean Asistio (Caloocan City);
- Rep. Faustino “Inno” Dy V (Isabela);
- Rep. Marlyn “Len” B. Alonte (Biñan City, Laguna);
- Rep. Emmarie “Lolypop” M. Ouano-Dizon (Mandaue City);
- Rep. Cheeno D. Almario (Davao Oriental);
- Rep. Francisco Jose “Bingo” F. Matugas II (Surigao del Norte);
- Rep. Samier A. Tan (Sulu);
- Rep. Jurdin Jesus “JJ” M. Romualdo (Camiguin);
- Rep. Dimple Mastura (Maguindanao);
- Rep. Christopherson Yap (Southern Leyte);
- Rep. Irwin Tieng (Manila);
- Rep. Midy Cua (Quirino);
- Rep. Ernix Dionisio (Manila);
- Rep. Edsel Galeos (Cebu);
- Rep. Jinky Bitrics Luistro (Batangas);
- Rep. Arnan C. Panaligan (Oriental Mindoro);
- Rep. Doris E. Maniquiz (Zambales);
- Rep. Joseph Tan (Isabela);
- Rep. Faustino Michael Carlos T. Dy III (Isabela);
- Rep. Jojo Lara (Cagayan); and
- Rep. Steve Solon (Sarangani)
Romualdez said in a statement that the move of the lawmakers to join Lakas-CMD would strengthen support in the House for the legislative agenda of the incoming administration of President-elect Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. and Vice President-elect Sara Duterte-Carpio.
Duterte-Carpio ran in the vice presidential race under Lakas-CMD and now also chairs the party.
“We are elated that our colleagues chose to be with us in Lakas-CMD. We look forward to having a fruitful engagement with them and sharing the values and advocacies we have followed and pursued as one of the biggest political parties in the country,” said Romualdez, a cousin of Marcos Jr. who is poised to be elected as Speaker of the House of Representatives for the 19th Congress.
Aside from Lakas-CMD, several political parties in the House have also endorsed Romualdez’s speakership bid. This includes PDP-Laban, National Unity Party (NUP), Nationalist People’s Coalition (NPC), Nacionalista Party (NP), and Hugpong ng Pagbabago (HNP).
The Party-List Coalition Foundation, Inc. in the House has also endorsed Romualdez for Speaker.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.