Duque says 'no regrets' in fund transfer to PS-DBM that led to Pharmally deal | Inquirer News
Close  

Duque says ‘no regrets’ in fund transfer to PS-DBM that led to Pharmally deal

/ 10:07 AM June 06, 2022
Possible ‘alert level 0’ on agenda: Will face masks finally go?

Outgoing Health Secretary Francisco Duque III

MANILA, Philippines — Outgoing Health Secretary Francisco Duque III on Monday said he has no regrets  transferring funds to the Procurement Service of the Department of Budget and Management (PS-DBM), sincemore lives could have been lost otherwise.

 “No, I would not have done that differently because I will have to—this is a whole of government approach…I trusted the institution. I did not trust personalities. And PS-DBM is an attached agency of DBM,” Duque said in an ANC interview.

ADVERTISEMENT

 “No regrets. There’s no evidence of wrongdoing. We gave them all the documents, unfortunately, they did not include documents that countered their official findings,” he added, referring to the findings of the Senate blue ribbon committee.

 Asked if he felt that the Senate panel had been unfair in its probe, Duque answered in the affirmative.

FEATURED STORIES

 “Yes, to me and to all those who have implicated but only had in their heart to save lives, to protect lives of our healthcare workers.  They were dying,” the health chief said.

The Senate blue ribbon committee began its investigation into the government’s pandemic-related transactions after the Commission on Audit (COA) found deficiencies in the Department of Health’s (DOH) handling of response funds.

During the course of the inquiry, some senators had repeatedly questioned the DOH’s transfer of some P42 billion to the PS-DBM for the purchase of pandemic response supplies.

 A portion of this amount went to over P8.6 billion worth of contracts awarded to Pharmally in 2020.

Senators doubted the financial capacity of the firm since it was only established in 2019 with a small capital of P625,000 when it secured the supply deals.

 ‘Untold consequences’ 

“If I did not do what I did, we could have lost more lives, more doctors and nurses would have lost lives. Can you imagine that? And I’m sure, if that would have happened, they’re going to call me again and say ‘you’re guilty of criminal negligence, hinayaan mong mamatay yung mga doktor, nurses, med techs.’ No, no, no, hindi namin kaya, P41.4 billion is such a huge amount. We never procured at that level,” Duque said.

“Ang pinakmataas namin na procurement siguro, P5 billion to about 6 billion [worth of] vaccines…Hindi namin kakayanin, what would have been the untold consequences? Many more doctors would have died,” he added.

ADVERTISEMENT

With less than a month left before he steps down from his position, Duque once again denied there was overpricing in the procurement of pandemic-related supplies, specifically personal protective equipment (PPE) sets.

“Sabi nila, overpricing. COA never said anything in its report that there was overpricing. Anong overpricing? DOH in 2015–hindi ako secretary diyan—2015, 2016, PPEs ang kanilang presyo when they bought was P3,500. More expensive. Sa amin ang nilagay namin sa suggested retail price, P2,000 with more components,” he said.

 “Lumabas ba yan sa investigation? No, hindi yan lumabas sa report. Ang dami naming, mounds of documents,” he added.

  

gsg

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

[forminator_form id="1644364"]

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COVID-19, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III, Pharmally, PS-DBM, Senate investigation
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
[forminator_form id="1644365"]


© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.