Sotto seeks NBI probe into wife – beating viral video
MANILA, Philippines — A viral video of a man beating up his wife who is holding a baby drew the ire of Senate President Vicente Sotto III, who has sought the help of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to investigate the matter.
Sotto said his lawyer, Atty. Marian Lucinario, has already communicated with the NBI on his behalf, requesting that the incident be investigated.
“She (Lucinario) has already sent the link and pictures of the incident. No need to go there personally at this point. At the proper time, I will file it myself,” Sotto said in a message to reporters on Monday.
“[NBI] Director Eric [Distor] is in a Monday conference now but I already talked to his assistant Danny and they will order [the] cybercrime division to investigate asap,” he added.
In a later message to reporters, Sotto said the NBI director has assigned a “special team” to look into the incident.
“NBI Director called…and told me he is assigning a special team to look into it and identify the video and persons in it,” the Senate president said.
The video Sotto was referring to was uploaded by REGTv on Facebook in May 2020. So far, it has garnered over four million views, more than 100,000 reactions and 20,000 comments.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.