Comelec dep’t gets 30 election protest cases
MANILA, Philippines — A department of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) has received 30 election protest cases, poll body’s acting spokesperson John Rex Laudiangco said Tuesday.
All protest cases are under review, said Laudiangco.
“The Electoral Contests and Adjudication Department had informed me that they had already received 30—as of May 23, they have received 30 election protest cases. Lahat po ito ay dino-docket na at nire-review na po nila,” he said in a press briefing.
(All of these are being docketed and reviewed.)
“Of course, it will proceed in accordance with the rules of procedure,” he added.
The acting spokesman was asked what positions are involved in the protests.
“It’s a mix of positions. But definitely—ang (the) jurisdiction po kasi ng (of) Comelec ay (are) city positions, provincial, and regional positions,” Laudiangco responded.
The Comelec began proclaiming local winners as early as May 10, a day after the national and local elections.
For national positions, winning senators were already proclaimed last May 18, while canvassing of votes for president and vice president is underway in Congress.
The proclamation of party-list groups is eyed within the week after transmission of votes from 12 barangays in Tubaran town, Lanao del Sur is completed.
These barangays are holding special elections this Tuesday, May 24 after the Comelec declared a failure of polls due to violence, threats, and intimidation.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.