Marcos on pres’l debates: If I say yes, I will answer even hostile questions | Inquirer News

Marcos on pres’l debates: If I say yes, I will answer even hostile questions

/ 11:22 AM February 15, 2022
Presidential candidate Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. said Tuesday that if he accepts an invitation to a debate, he will answer even the most hostile questions—but he quickly pointed out that he can only commit if his schedule permits. 

Former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines — Presidential candidate Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. said Tuesday that if he accepts an invitation to a debate, he will answer even the most hostile questions—but he quickly pointed out that he can only commit if his schedule permits.

Marcos made the remark as he confirmed his attendance to the presidential debate sponsored by media network SMNI where he will face off with his fellow presidential candidate labor leader Leody de Guzman.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I made a commitment to join the SMNI event and, in fact, I’ve signed the agreement for my attendance,” Marcos said in a statement.

“Kapag nag-oo ako na sasali ay tutuparin ko kahit sino ang nag-imbita at kahit gaano man ka-hostile and inaasahan kong mga tanong… But I commit and say yes only if my schedules will permit,” he added.

FEATURED STORIES

(If I say yes to joining a debate, I will do it no matter who invited me and no matter how hostile the questions are… But I commit and say yes only if my schedules will permit.)

Marcos said that he was loaded with “hectic schedules” since the start of the campaign on February 8, but a break between events has permitted him to be in Metro Manila and attend the SMNI event.

Marcos has previously been criticized for declining some major presidential debates and forums attended by his fellow presidential candidates.

The first one Marcos declined is the interview with veteran journalist Jessica Soho, who he called “biased.” Marcos also skipped the presidential forum organized by the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas (KBP), citing conflict with schedule.

Most recently, Marcos’ camp announced that he will not be attending the presidential forum organized by CNN Philippines, also due to issues with schedule.

Meanwhile, other presidential candidates—Senator Panfilo Lacson, Manila City mayor Isko Moreno, Senator Manny Pacquiao, and Vice President Leni Robredo—will not be attending the SMNI debate.

Moreno and Robredo cited issues with their schedules as the reason behind their absence.

ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile, Pacquiao said he cannot “in good conscience” attend the debate considering that Pastor Apollo Quiboloy, the owner of SMNI, is wanted for sex trafficking charges in the US.

Lacson, for his part, said he is skipping the debate since Quiboloy has openly endorsed Marcos and his running mate, Sara Duterte-Carpio.

“Maybe each of them has a good reason to skip the event. I respect their decisions as I felt they respected mine when I failed to attend similar forums in the past,” Marcos said.

RELATED STORIES:

Bongbong insists Jessica Soho is ‘biased,’ describes her as ‘anti-Marcos’

Bongbong Marcos won’t attend forum for presidential bets, says KBP prexy

Quiboloy endorses Bongbong Marcos – Sara Duterte tandem

JPV
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: debate, Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr., Quiboloy, SMNI
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.