Comelec: Presidential candidate Ka Leody failed to get proclamation rally permit
MANILA, Philippines — The camp of labor leader Leody de Guzman, who is running for president in this year’s election, has failed to secure a permit to hold a proclamation rally set for Tuesday night.
This was according to Commission on Elections’ (Comelec) Education and Information Department Director Elaiza David, saying they did not receive any application “for the conduct of any mode of campaign” for De Guzman, who is also known as Ka Leody.
“Per our records from the NCR [office], they did not receive any application for the conduct of any mode of campaign from the group of Ka Leody De Guzman,” David said in an online press briefing.
She also said that the camp of De Guzman will commit an election offense if they push through with the proclamation rally on Tuesday night without the required permit.
“Definitely, it is an election offense because the requirement is they need to seek a permit first before conducting a campaign, so it is an election offense,” she added.
According to David, the Comelec has so far received 71 applications for political campaign events nationwide.
“But then ‘yung nakapag-mention lang ng mismong names ng candidates is two regions. So far sa two regions na iyon, we have identified VP (Vice President) Leni (Robredo) and then Ferdinand Marcos [Jr.], Isko Moreno, and Senator Ping Lacson and Tito Sotto tandem,” she said.
(But only two regions have mentioned specific names of candidates. These are VP Leni, Ferdinand Marcos Jr., Isko Moreno, and the tandem of Senators Ping Lacson and Tito Sotto.)
David said these two regions are Metro Manila and Central Luzon.
The proclamation rally of De Guzman and other candidates of the Partido Lakas ng Masa is scheduled from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Tuesday at the Bantayog ng mga Bayani.
February 8 is the official start of the campaign period for aspirants vying for national posts in the May 9 elections.