Leody de Guzman hits Duterte for refusing to apologize for drug war killings | Inquirer News
Close  

Leody de Guzman hits Duterte for refusing to apologize for drug war killings

/ 11:04 PM January 05, 2022
Kin of drug war victims disappointed with UNHRC swerving from probe

In this 2017 photo, police officers stand guard over the body of another drug suspect shot dead by gunmen on a motorcycle in Pasig City. Thousands were believed to have been summarily killed in the drug war since President Rodrigo Duterte took office in 2016. (File photo from Philippine Daily Inquirer)

MANILA, Philippines — Labor leader Leody de Guzman, who is running for president in the May elections, criticized President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday for refusing to show remorse for the thousands of people killed during his administration’s bloody war on drugs.

The issues of corruption and illegal drugs were what installed Duterte in the presidency — the reason why he could not let them go even though he clearly failed to eradicate these two plagues, De Guzman said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Instead of humbling himself in the twilight of his miserable term, he has not asked for forgiveness for the thousands killed in his anti-poor war on drugs and for the billions of pesos that were lost every year to corruption,” De Guzman said in a Twitter post in Filipino.

De Guzman issued this statement after Duterte reiterated during his taped weekly briefing on Tuesday night that he would never apologize for the deaths caused by his drug war.

FEATURED STORIES

According to De Guzman, however, only the worsening corruption and drug problems are Duterte’s legacy to the next generation of Filipinos.

The labor leader said Duterte’s move was a tactic so that he would not appear as a “lame duck” president.

“Even as his popularity fades, these issues will be used to prevent him from becoming a lame duck,” De Guzman said.

“This is not just to maintain his tough image but to give himself leverage over the candidates seeking his endorsement and even over the next administration,” he added.

ADVERTISEMENT

As of December 2021, some 6,000 drug suspects had been killed in the war on drugs since Duterte took office, according to the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency.

However, many human rights groups claim that the actual death toll can be from 12,000 to 30,000.

A University of the Philippines (UP) study on July 23, even estimated that the drug war has killed an average of two people each day.

RELATED STORIES

Duterte says he will never apologize for drug war fatalities 

Drug war death toll reaches 6,011 as of December 2020 — PDEA

ICC pre-trial chamber authorizes start of probe into Duterte’s drug war

ICC suspends PH drug war probe, warned of Duterte ‘ruse’

‘If I go to prison, I go to Muntinlupa,’ Duterte says of ICC probe

ATM

Subscribe to our daily newsletter


Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: drug war killings, Leody de Guzman., Rodrigo Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.