China, South Korea turn over donations for ‘Odette’ victims
MANILA, Philippines — China and South Korea on Wednesday handed over to Philippine government agencies their donations of rice, bottled water as well as hygiene kits for families affected by Typhoon Odette.
The Chinese Embassy in Manila turned over 100,000 bottles of drinking water worth P1 million to the Office of Civil Defense in coordination with the Filipino-Chinese community.
“Hope those bottled water amounting to P1 million will be immediately delivered to those affected. Rest assured, we shall continue to extend assistance to our Filipino friends,” Chinese Ambassador Huang Xilian said in a statement.
Meanwhile, South Korean Ambassador to the Philippines Kim Inchul turned over 1,500 sacks of rice worth US$50,000 (or approximately P2.5 million) and 740 units of hygiene kits as immediate relief to the National Resources Operations Center of the Department of Social Welfare and Development.
On 29 December 2021, Ambassador Kim Inchul turned over US$50,000 worth of 1,500 sacks of rice (37.5 metric tons) and 740…
Posted by Embassy of the Republic of Korea in the Philippines on Wednesday, December 29, 2021
“The devastation caused by Typhoon Odette is soul-bruising as President Duterte described. We are saddened to learn that the loss and damage are still increasing,” Kim said.
“Korea provided these relief items to support the urgent needs of Filipinos in the areas affected by Typhoon Odette. Korea will remain in solidarity with the Philippines in the aftermath of Typhoon Odette,” he added.
South Korea earlier pledged to provide US$2 million of humanitarian assistance to the Philippines.
According to DSWD, the Philippine Navy and Philippine Coast Guard are carrying out operations of transporting the relief goods.
The Embassy of South Korea said it learned that the newly commissioned BRP Mamanwa, which was donated by South Korea in 2015, is part of the operations.
Over 4.2 million individuals or 1.08 million families were displaced by the typhoon, which ravaged parts of Luzon, the Visayas, and Mindanao almost two weeks ago. More than 560,000 persons became homeless and are now staying in 1,201 evacuation centers.
Meanwhile, 397 have so far been reported dead due to the typhoon, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.