‘Mag-judge din kayo’: Roque stands by ‘misogynistic’ question at Miss World pageant
MANILA, Philippines — Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque is standing by his controversial question during the question and answer portion of the Miss World Philippines 2021 pageant which drew criticism for supposedly being misogynistic and politically incorrect.
Roque, who was a judge in the pageant, asked a candidate: “The frontrunner in all the surveys for the post of president is a woman. If she were to ask you, should she run for president even if her children are very young, what advice would you give her?”
This however did not sit well with some viewers and netizens who accused him of misogyny and that the question was not fit for an event that meant to empower women. This prompted a reporter to ask Roque during his regular press briefing what his aim was for the question.
“Can we get your response on the criticisms over your question last night in Miss World on whether a woman with young kids should run for president if it meant sacrificing time for her family? Some netizen say that the question was misogynistic and out of place in a contest meant to empower women. What was your aim in asking that question? How would you answer it yourself?” Roque was asked.
Without naming her, Roque was apparently alluding to Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, who had been topping popularity surveys for the presidency, a position being held by her father, President Rodrigo Duterte.
The Palace spokesperson however said that it was “OA” or overacting to accuse him of misogyny over the query.
“OA po ‘yon na misogynistic ‘yon. That’s a valid question. If you disagree, you’re entitled to your opinion, mag-judge din kayo,” Roque said in a Palace briefing when asked to comment about the criticisms.
(It’s OA to say it’s misogynistic. That’s a valid question. If you disagree, you’re entitled to your opinion, be a judge yourself.)
Cebu’s Trace Maureen Perez was crowned as Miss World Philippines in the coronation night held over the weekend.
Duterte-Carpio has yet to decide if she will run for the presidency, although on Saturday, she has already filed her certificate of candidacy for mayor of Davao City, a position that she also inherited from her father.
The filing of certificates of candidacy began on October 1 and will end on October 8. Meanwhile, substitution of candidacy will be up to November 15.
Aside from Duterte-Carpio, another woman is being wooed to join the presidential race — Vice President Leni Robredo, who also has yet to decide if she will vie for the presidency.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.