Trillanes: Launch of ICC 'drug war' probe 'another step closer to prison' for Duterte | Inquirer News
Close  

Trillanes: Launch of ICC ‘drug war’ probe ‘another step closer to prison’ for Duterte

/ 01:54 PM September 16, 2021
Trillanes: Launch of ICC 'drug war' probe 'another step closer to prison' for Duterte

President Rodrigo Duterte (left) and Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV (File photo from Philippine Daily Inquirer)

MANILA, Philippines — Former senator Antonio Trillanes IV said Thursday that the decision of the International Criminal Court (ICC) to open its investigation on the Philippine government’s drug war is a clear “step closer” to justice for the victims and their families, and “another step closer to prison” for President Rodrigo Duterte and his disciples.

In a Facebook post, Trillanes expressed solidarity with the families of the so-called EJK victims and taunted Duterte.

ADVERTISEMENT

“To the families of the EJK victims, this is another step closer to attaining justice for your loved ones,” wrote the fierce critic of the President.

“To Duterte and his cohorts, this is another step closer to prison,” he added.

FEATURED STORIES

READ: ICC pre-trial chamber authorizes start of probe into Duterte’s drug war

The request for authorization to investigate the case against Duterte was filed last June 14 by Fatou Bensouda, who was then the ICC chief prosecutor. She filed the request as provided for by the Rome Statute, the treaty that established the ICC on July 1, 2002.

READ: ICC decision to probe drug war killings gets no reaction from Duterte — Palace

The probe will cover crimes committed from November 1, 2011, to March 16, 2019. Duterte was vice mayor of Davao City in 2011 and had to give way to her daughter, Sara Duterte-Carpio, for the top local position due to term limits. He won the presidential race in May 2016.

READ: PH won’t cooperate with ICC probe of ‘war on drugs’ – Duterte’s legal counsel

In 2018, Duterte declared the Philippines’ withdrawal from the Rome Statute, which created the ICC. The withdrawal took effect on March 17, 2019.

Since then, the President has repeatedly said he would not cooperate in any ICC investigation, arguing that the Rome Statute had no legal effect as it was not published in the Official Gazette and that the country had already withdrawn from the treaty.

ADVERTISEMENT

But according to the ICC,  it still has jurisdiction over the alleged crimes because they took place from November 1, 2011, to March 16, 2019 — when the Philippines was still a signatory of the Rome Statute.

RELATED STORIES

Duterte can’t evade ICC, end treaty on his own – Supreme Court

ICC ‘on the cusp’ of investigating PH drug war – lawyers of victims’ kin

Duterte’s refusal to cooperate with ICC despite SC ruling shows ‘continuous disregard of law’ – lawyers’ group

ICC report shows victims ‘overwhelmingly support’ probe into Duterte’s drug war

KGA

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Antonio Trillanes, Drug war, ICC, investigation, Rodrigo Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.