Over 11,800 individuals flee Typhoon Jolina in Bicol
LEGAZPI CITY, Albay, Philippines — At least 2,700 families composed of 11,827 people were evacuated to safety on Tuesday in the provinces of Masbate, Albay, and Sorsogon, the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) in Bicol said.
Gremil Alexis Naz, OCD Bicol spokesperson, said as of 5 p.m., Masbate was the hardest hit area by Severe Tropical Storm Jolina (international name Conson), causing 1,755 families or 8,609 persons to be evacuated.
In Albay, 926 families composed of 3,182 people were also evacuated while only seven families or 36 people fled their homes in Sorsogon.
Jolina made its fifth landfall in Dimasalang town in Masbate and spawned moderate to intense rains, triggering floods that affected 42 low-lying villages in the provinces of Masbate, Albay and Sorsogon.
Though spared by heavy rains and strong winds, the Albay Public Safety Emergency and Management Office (Apsemo) said at least 926 families or 3,182 persons threatened by flooding and landslide in five towns and in this city were evacuated to nearby evacuation centers.
Cedric Daep, Apsemo chief, said the evacuees were living in low-lying communities in the towns of Manito, Camalig, Guinobatan, Oas and in this city.
Daep said no casualties had been reported.
In Masbate, flooding were reported in 32 villages in the towns of Aroroy, Mobo, Esperanza, Palanas, Pio V. Corpuz, San Jacinto, Uson and Masbate City.
Flooding was also reported in the town of Juban in Sorsogon.
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.