Palace says Duterte to keep anti-corruption promise: 'Kung may ebidensya, sibak, sibak, sibak' | Inquirer News

Palace says Duterte to keep anti-corruption promise: ‘Kung may ebidensya, sibak, sibak, sibak’

By: - Reporter / @KAguilarINQ
/ 03:33 PM August 19, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte is certain to dismiss officials whose corrupt activities had been documented, Malacañang said Thursday after the Commission on Audit (COA) flagged numerous transactions of government agencies.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Sa dami po ng nasibak na ni Presidente dahil po sa korapsyon, wala naman po kaduda duda na kung meron namang ebidensya, sibak, sibak, sibak po yan,” presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said in a press briefing when asked what assurance he would give to the public amid the findings of COA in its reports.

(With the many officials dismissed by the President for corruption, there is no doubt that if there is evidence, they will be dismissed, dismissed, dismissed.)

FEATURED STORIES

“Wag po kayo magalala, yan po ay pangako ng Presidente,” he added.

(Don’t worry, that’s the promise of the President.)

In the audit reports and observations regularly posted on its website, COA flagged many agencies for the handling of its finances including the Department of Health, the Department of Transportation, the Department of Labor and Employment, and more

Duterte earlier told COA to “stop flagging” and “do not publish” its reports, saying the practice corrodes agencies with “corruption by perception.”

But Roque clarified the President was only expressing frustration when he made the remark.

The fight against corruption was one of Duterte’s campaign promises when he ran for president in 2016. But a number of times, the President was fed up with corruption, admitting that it is “impossible” to eradicate it.

In some of his taped speeches, Duterte even read out names of officials he dismissed in a bid to project his “zero tolerance” for corruption. But some officials who have been supposedly “fired” either came back to service or were transferred to another agency.

ADVERTISEMENT

One of the most recent instances was the dismissal of 43 immigration officers allegedly involved in the so-called “pastillas” scheme. In his State of the Nation Address, the President claimed that he fired them, but Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra made clear they returned to office from suspension.

READ: Duterte unaware 43 BI officials linked to ‘pastillas’ scheme not fired

The President has also repeatedly come to the defense of Health Secretary Francisco Duque, who has been sought to resign after being figures in several controversies.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: COA, Commission On Audit, corruption, Malacañang, Palace, Rodrigo Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.