BFP: No fireworks-related fires in Metro Manila on New Year's Eve | Inquirer News
Close  

BFP: No fireworks-related fires in Metro Manila on New Year’s Eve

/ 05:53 PM January 02, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — No fires were started by firecrackers and fireworks in Metro Manila during New Year’s Eve, the Bureau of Fire Protection – National Capital Region (BFP-NCR) said.

The BFP-NCR credits this to the combined work of BFP personnel, fire volunteers, police officers, local government units, and communities that strived to prevent firecracker-related fires.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The Bureau of Fire Protection National Capital Region congratulates and thanks the public for the success of the campaign against fireworks and destructive fires,” the BFP said on Saturday.

“This collaboration among BFP, fire volunteers, PNP (Philippine National Police), local government, and the community resulted in a generally peaceful and safer than before new year’s celebration with ZERO fire incidents due to fireworks,” it added.

FEATURED STORIES

The BFP also noted that fires during New Year’s Eve 2021 decreased by 73.17 percent compared to New Year’s Eve, the previous year.  The BFP added that the fires were also small and were quickly extinguished.

This data was obtained from 8:00 a.m. of December 31 up to 8:00 a.m. of January 1, 2021.

“Of the said 11 small incidents, 5 are structural fires and 3 of them involved houses, which are way lesser compared to last year’s stats, i.e. 24 structural fires with 19 residential fires,” the BFP said.

“Rest assured that BFP-NCR will remain as steadfast and committed work in protecting and empowering the community not only during celebrations like this but all year through,” it added.

The use of firecrackers was banned in Metro Manila as part of health protocols to contain the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic as people will be discouraged from gathering outside their homes to light fireworks and firecrackers.

READ: Firecrackers banned in Metro Manila — NCRPO chief

READ: Metro mayors: Firecracker ban part of health measures

Because of the ban, only 55 firecracker-related injuries were recorded in Metro Manila during New Year’s Eve, the Department of Health said on Friday.

/MUF

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: BFP, BFP - National Capital Region, BFP NCR, firecracker-related fires., Firecrackers, fireworks, Metro, Metro Manila, New Year, New Year celebrations, New Year's Eve, Philippine news updates, pyrotechnics, the Bureau of Fire Protection
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.