3 dead, 64 injured in latest Bilibid riot
MANILA, Philippines— Three persons were killed, and 64 were injured in the “free-for-all” scuffle inside the Maximum Security Compound of the New Bilibid Prison, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said Monday.
Of the 64 injured, six were referred to Ospital ng Muntinlupa for medical attention.
Some members of the Operating Team who immediately responded to the incident also sustained minor injuries. Relatives of the victims have been informed.
“The DOJ [Department of Justice] has ordered the BuCor [Bureau of Corrections] to submit a detailed report asap,” Guevarra said.
He said he would order the National Bureau of Investigation to conduct an investigation. The DOJ chief said the probe would either be a parallel investigation, or the bureau will expand its ongoing investigation into the riot that occurred last month.
The riot started at around 8 a.m. BuCor personnel inside Bilibid have been evacuated. Like last month, the riot erupted between members of Sigue Sigue Sputnik and Sigue Sigue Commando.
Guevarra said the Philippine National Police’s Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) and its Special Action Force (SAF), together with the BuCor security force, were in the process of clearing the area currently conducting a clearing operation.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.