Duterte orders probe on drivers’ complaints not receiving cash subsidy
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday ordered the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) and the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) to investigate claims that some drivers of public utility vehicles did not receive any cash subsidy.
“Public utility drivers were given assistance through the Pantawid Pasada Program,” Duterte said in his fifth State of the Nation Address.
“There are some complaints that some drivers did not receive any assistance at all. I have directed the DSWD and DILG to look into this,” he added.
Public utility drivers were among the most-affected sectors as public transportation was suspended after several parts of the country were placed under lockdown to curb COVID-19.
It was only earlier this month when traditional jeepneys deemed “roadworthy” were allowed to ply back on selected routes.
Meanwhile, DSWD earlier said it has so far distributed P785 million to over 98,000 drivers of public utility vehicles, motorcycle taxis, and transportation network vehicle services in Metro Manila under the social amelioration program (SAP).
Under the SAP, each beneficiary will receive P5,000 to P8,000 cash subsidy for two tranches based on the prevailing minimum wage rates in their respective regions.
asu / jpv
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.