outbrain
Close  

Palace: Duterte’s ‘sickly’ look in Sulu an ‘emotional issue,’ not health-related

By: - Reporter / @KAguilarINQ
/ 02:37 PM July 06, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang on Monday allayed concerns over President Rodrigo Duterte’s health, saying his “sickly” appearance last week was due to an “emotional issue” caused by the death of four soldiers in the Sulu incident.

Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the President took the incident in Sulu “very personal,” hence his frail appearance as he spoke before soldiers last Friday in Zamboanga City.

ADVERTISEMENT

“That’s not health-related, it’s more of an emotional issue,” Roque said in an online briefing.

Four soldiers who were fatally shot by Sulu police officers were in the middle of a mission to “capture suspected bombers,” Army spokesperson Col. Ramon Zagala said.

FEATURED STORIES

The Philippine National Police initially reported the killing as a result of a “misencounter” and later on backtracked, saying it was a “shooting incident.”

“Matamlay po talaga siya dahil talagang kusang malungkot. Doon ko lang po nakita na talagang napakalungkot ng ating Presidente. Para siyang ama na namatayan ng mga anak dahil nag-away-away.”

(He was in low spirits because he was really sad. That’s the only time I saw the President really sad. He was like a father who lost children due to a fight.)

“Talagang emosyonal po siya. At some point, nagka-crack po ang kanyang voice. At doon ko lang po nakita na talagang he took it very personal itong nangyari sa Jolo,” he went on.

(He was really emotional. At some point, his voice cracked. I saw that he really took the Jolo incident very personally.)

Duterte appealed for “calm” and “understanding” between the military and the police as he implored the security forces to wait for the result of the probe on the June 29 incident.

The President also assured justice for the four army men who were killed in the incident.

ADVERTISEMENT

The chief of Jolo Municipal police has been administratively relieved of his post alongside nine other police officers supposedly involved in the killing of the four soldiers, said Brig. Gen. Manuel Abu, chief of Police Regional Office in Bangsamoro Administrative Region.

EDV
Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Health, Jolo, Malacañang, Misencounter, Palace, Rodrigo Duterte, Sulu
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.