DOLE realigns P1.5B to aid 300,000 formal sector workers displaced by pandemic | Inquirer News
Close  

DOLE realigns P1.5B to aid 300,000 formal sector workers displaced by pandemic

/ 11:21 PM April 29, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has realigned P1.5 billion of its 2020 budget to aid more formal sector workers displaced by the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

In a statement on Wednesday, DOLE said the realigned budget would be used to provide a one-time cash assistance of P5,000 to 300,000 workers, whose applications for the COVID-19 Adjustment Measures Program (CAMP) have already been processed.

ADVERTISEMENT

DOLE earlier suspended the acceptance of CAMP applications when its funds went “very close” to being depleted after it was “swamped with volumes of requests.”

According to DOLE, it has already provided cash assistance to 407,300 workers under CAMP.

FEATURED STORIES

DOLE said some 87,301 establishments had reported that over 1.6 million of their workers had been affected by temporary closures triggered by the pandemic while another 797,729 were on alternative work arrangements due to the quarantine being enforced to contain the spread of the coronavirus.

“With internally sourced funds, DOLE will now be able to assist a total of about 650,000 workers with P3.24 billion in total CAMP assistance,” the department said.

“This, however, will leave around 1,000,000 million workers still unserved under the special amelioration program. The requests for assistance submitted by their employers had already been processed,” it added.

OFW aid

Meanwhile, DOLE  has so far provided a cash assistance of P10,000 each to over 70,000 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) under the Abot Kamay ang Pagtulong (AKAP) program which has a budget of P1.5 billion.

Over 297,000 OFWs are currently seeking cash assistance amid the pandemic, DOLE said, citing reports from the Philippine Overseas Labor Offices (POLOs) and local offices of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA).

The DOLE will start its regular Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Displaced/Disadvantaged Workers (TUPAD) program in areas outside of the extended enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in May.

TUPAD will use a separate P1 billion in regular funds of the DSWD.

/atm

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For more news about the novel coronavirus click here.
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this link .

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: camp, cash assistance, coronavirus pandemic, coronavirus Philippines, COVID-19, DOLE, formal sector workers
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.