Good Samaritan pauses PlayStation game, saves people from burning apartment
A good Samaritan is being hailed as a hero after helping save several people from an apartment fire in Memphis, Tennessee, United States last Sunday, Nov. 3.
Justin Greer was playing on his PlayStation when he heard a loud scream nearby, as per Fox 13 Memphis on Monday, Nov. 4.
“I heard it again for a second time, so I paused the game and I get up and by that time my mom was running to the back,” he told the news outlet. “She was like ‘Justin, these people’s house is on fire, they need help.’”
Greer wasted no time, started scaling the burning building and knocked on doors. He said a woman began passing to him some kids, whom he passed down to people on the ground.
After bringing the kids to safety, he noticed an elderly woman begging for help on the third floor. As Greer was making his way to her from the second floor, she suddenly jumped toward him. He managed to catch her before they both fell on the ground, the report stated. Greer said he was able to land on his back.
Firefighters arrived at the scene after responding to a call before 2 a.m. Following the incident, firefighters stated that one woman had suffered second-degree burns on her face, hands and shoulder. As per report, they also noted that a few people were also hurt by the tragedy.
Greer’s mother was also brought to a hospital after he performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation on her. Greer believes that the stress from the incident had caused her to faint.
A fire department spokesperson revealed that 12 apartment units were affected, as per report. The fire department also noted that the building had no functional smoke detectors.
Meanwhile, the American Red Cross has helped at least 12 families who were left homeless after the fire.
People have since taken to social media to thank Greer for his bravery, as per report. Some have even hailed him as a hero.
“That’s a big title. I don’t feel like a hero,” Greer was quoted as saying. “I’m just doing what God told me to do.”
The fire department stated that the fire was caused by children playing with matches on a balcony, as per a separate report by CBS-affiliate WREG on Monday. Ryan Arcadio/JB
Youth church group drops board game session, rescue senior citizens from fire
Labrador saves family of 4 from house fire
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.