Meat that made Bohol athletes ill improperly stored
TAGBILARAN CITY, Bohol, Philippines – The pork served to athletes who were hospitalized due to suspected food poisoning last Friday was found to have not been properly stored.
Dr. Alex Sumera, a rural health unit officer and Candijay Community Hospital (CCH) head, immediately ordered the meat to be thrown away as it might cause another food poisoning incident in the next meals.
Boiled egg and dried fish were instead served to the athletes for breakfast.
At least 79 athletes fell ill due to suspected food poisoning during the 3rd Congressional District Athletic Meet held in Candijay town on Friday.
Most of them were taken to the Candijay Community Hospital after suffering stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea.
Jeryl Lumacang-Fuentes, the municipal disaster risk and reduction management officer, said the athletes who fell ill were billeted at the Saint Joseph Academy Campus.
The athletes belong to the Candijay, Alicia, Mabini, Anda and Guindulman (CAMAG) team.
“The response mechanism of the local government unit of Candijay was seamless. We were on top of the situation all throughout,” Fuentes said. “It was made possible with the cooperation of Candijay Community Hospital headed by Doc Alex Sumera, Department of Education through Mrs. Maura Busano, and the various Task Groups of LGU Candijay headed by Hon. Mayor Christopher Tutor.”
As of Sunday, only 12 patients remained in the hospital, where they were given intravenous fluids.
The Department of Health is investigating the incident.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.