Bilibid hospital chief: No hard evidence of ‘overstaying’ for sale
MANILA, Philippines — Except for rumors, there is no hard evidence to allegations that money changed hands at the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) hospital, its chief told a Senate inquiry on Thursday.
At the ongoing hearing of the Senate committee on justice, Senator Christopher “Bong” Go asked NBP hospital chief Ernesto Tamayo about the alleged payoff at the infirmary.
Go said inmates allegedly pay at least P40,000 either for “overstaying” at the NBP hospital or to be allowed admission in a hospital outside NBP.
“Tungkol po sa naririnig ko wala po eh,” Tamayo said, responding to the senator’s question.
“Wala po kasi akong hard evidence na may bayaran talaga pero mayroon na po akong naririnig tungkol po dyan.”
“Tsismis lang po kasi… Mahirap pong magturo na walang ebidensya pa,” he added.
To this, Go said: “Hintayin nyo lang po at ipapasa ko sa komite ‘yung mga ebidensya laban sa’yo.”
Even the nursing attendant, Meryl Benitez, said she had not heard or seen any payoff inside NBP hospital.
“Wala po, Your Honor . Wala rin po akong nakikita at wala rin po akong naririnig,” Benitez said.
Unlike Tamayo and Benitez, NBP doctor Urcisio Cenas answered “yes” when Go asked him the same question.
Cenas, however, later clarified that he just heard about the supposed payoff at the hospital.
Cenas himself had been accused of allegedly receiving money – at least P1,000 every visit, which he quickly denied.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.