NBI, PNP join probe of PMA cadet’s death
FORT DEL PILAR, Baguio City –– To ensure a “fair, objective and transparent investigation,” the Philippine Military Academy has asked police forensic investigators and the National Bureau of Investigation to help dig into the Sept. 18 death of Cadet Fourth Class Darwin Dormitorio, according to Maj. Reynan Afan, chief of the academy’s public information office on Thursday (Sept. 19).
Details about the plebe’s demise have not been released although an academy source said Dormitorio had been admitted at the PMA Hospital two weeks ago for stomach ailments.
He was discharged and had rejoined the cadets when he was again rushed back to the hospital on or before Tuesday dinner due to uncontrolled bouts of vomiting. Cadets take supper at 5 p.m.
The academy accepts cadets who are deemed physically and mentally fit following rigorous medical examinations, after passing their entrance examinations, according to officials.
Dormitorio, who is from Mindanao, belonged to PMA Class of 2023, who were incorporated into the corps of cadets in July. That was the first time he and 389 other members of the class wore their cadet uniforms.
Dormitorio was due for his ceremonial recognition rite along with the rest of the class.
Afan said the PMA mourned the plebe’s passing and urged the media and the public to give his parents and family members time to grieve, pending the investigation./lzb
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.