outbrain
Close  

Junked case vs WellMed execs ‘will derail efforts to cleanse’ PhilHealth

/ 04:56 PM August 05, 2019
Junked case vs WellMed execs 'will derail efforts to cleanse' PhilHealth

WHISTLEBLOWER Edwin Roberto says in a press conference called by lawyer Harry Roque that
he and another former WellMed employee sought assistance and protection from PhilHealth but
were rebuffed. INQUIRER file photo / GRIG C.MONTEGRANDE

MANILA, Philippines — The dismissal of the criminal complaint against the owner and several officers of WellMed Dialysis and Laboratory Center in connection with alleged fraudulent claims with the Philippine Health Insurance Corp. “will derail all efforts to cleanse” the state health insurance company, lawyer Harry Roque said.

“We are alarmed at the dismissal of the criminal complaint we filed against WellMed. This will derail all efforts to cleanse PhilHealth preparatory to the implementation of the Universal Health Care Law, which I authored in the 17th Congress,” Roque said in a statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

This after the Quezon City Regional Trial Court dismissed the case for lack of jurisdiction, saying that it was filed with the wrong court.

READ: QC court dismisses case vs WellMed officials for ‘lack of jurisdiction’ 

FEATURED STORIES

The court further clarified that the dismissal of the case “has nothing to do with the guilt or innocence of the accused.”

“The whistleblowers remain firm in their conviction to expose the truth and to seek justice for the Filipino people,” Roque noted.

The former presidential spokesperson is the legal counsel of Edwin Roberto and Liezel Santos, the two former employees of WellMed in Novaliches, Quezon City.

READ: 28 complaints filed vs dialysis center over bogus patients’ claims

Roberto and Santos came out and exposed an alleged scam regarding dialysis treatment at WellMed.

In June, the Philippine Daily Inquirer reported that WellMed collected payments from PhilHealth for “ghost” dialysis treatments wherein patients were either already dead or have stopped their treatments.

READ: PhilHealth pays for ghost kidney treatments

ADVERTISEMENT

Roque, meanwhile, demanded that PhilHealth’s Senior Vice President for Legal Services, Atty. Rodolfo del Rosario, be immediately dismissed for filing what he called a “defective complaint.”

Last June 6, PhilHealth said administrative cases had been filed against the private dialysis center.

READ: PhilHealth: Complaints filed vs dialysis center over bogus pay claims

According to Roque, Roberto and De Leon should not have been included in the cases together with the owners of WellMed “because there is nothing in the witness protection program law that required that they be charged.”

He added that PhilHealth officials “in obvious collusion with the owners of WellMed” should have also been charged.

He further said that the “proper charge” against the WellMed owners “obviously in collusion with people within PhilHealth” should have been graft and corruption or plunder.

“We assure the public that the case can be refiled against WellMed because it was dismissed only on a technicality and there will be no double jeopardy,” Roque said.

“We call on the new management of the PhilHealth to appoint a more competent Senior [Vice President] for Legal Services,” he added. /kga

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: court, Criminal case, dismissal, fraudulent claims, ghost dialysis, Harry Roque, Local news, Nation, national news, news, Philhealth, Philippine news updates, Roque
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.