Close  

Robredo: ‘What will happen to gov’t funds, donations for Marawi rehab?’

/ 03:33 PM April 28, 2019
Robredo: Allowing foreign governments to spy on PH is illegal

Vice President Leni Robredo (File photo by NIÑO JESUS ORBETA / Philippine Daily Inquirer)

MANILA, Philippines — Vice President Leni Robredo on Sunday said many residents of Marawi City “could not get on with their lives” as they await for the next move for the restoration of the war-torn city.

Robredo, who recently visited Marawi City, made the statement following President Rodrigo Duterte’s declaration last week that rich businessmen could spend for the rehabilitation of the city.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: Duterte to let rich businessmen spend for full Marawi rehab

The vice president, however, questioned where the donations coming from foreign governments and development agencies would go once Marawi businessmen spend for the restoration of the city.

FEATURED STORIES

“Ang unang tanong, anong mangyayari doon sa pondo? Anong mangyayari doon sa pledges saka sa mga donasyon?” Robredo said during her weekly radio show, BISErbisyong LENI.

“Ang pangalawa, anong gustong sabihin, ano iyong expense ng pag-hands-off ng pamahalaan doon sa rehabilitation? Kasi talagang iyon iyong hinihintay doon,” she added.

Robredo also asked if government programs launched in the city would still be continued once the businessmen take over in the rehabilitation.

“Kung matatandaan natin last year, noong nag-celebrate ng one-year anniversary after the siege, parang October yata iyon, may mga… parang may mga groundbreaking, may mga ni-launch na mga bagong programa. So siguro iyong tanong, ibig bang sabihin hindi na iyon itutuloy? O itutuloy pa din iyon pero may limitasyon?” Robredo said.

Robredo said the government must clarify Duterte’s statement since many residents are still clueless as to what would happen next in the city.

The vice president added that residents are waiting for job opportunities to be made available in the city.

“Ang pinakamahirap kasi doon, parang hindi maka-get on with their lives iyong mga tao, kasi hindi talaga nila alam kung ano iyong susunod na hakbang. Iyong hinihintay nila, magkaroon na sana ng, parang, panimula ng trabaho sa Ground Zero, kasi iyong hanapbuhay talaga ng karamihan sa mga tao nandoon,” Robredo said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Tingin ko iyong pag-iyak hindi lang iyon dahil doon sa nangyari, pero dahil mayroon talagang, parang, sense of helplessness saka sense of hopelessness kung saan papunta sila,” she added.

The Marawi siege, which prompted a bottle between Maute terrorists and government troops, started on May 23, 2017 and lasted for five months. /je

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: businessmen, donation, duterte, funds, latest news, Leni Robredo, Marawi, Rehabilitation, robredo
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
entertainment

Opening this week

July 17, 2019 12:12 AM

entertainment

A second MMFF in summer mulled

July 17, 2019 12:11 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.