Sara Duterte backs Roque’s withdrawal from Senate race
MANILA, Philippines—The decision of former Presidential spokesman Harry Roque to quit the Senate race due to health reasons got the support of Presidential daughter and Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio.
“I agree with him, health should come first. I hope his health issue is resolved soon,” Duterte-Carpio told INQUIRER.net in a text message on Friday.
Roque, a former presidential spokesman, earlier announced his withdrawal from the Senate race after undergoing a “percutaneous coronary intervention following the discovery of an unstable angina coronary disease earlier this week.”
Roque is among the 14 senatoriables Duterte-Carpio’s Hugpong ng Pagbabago (HNP) party vowed to support in the coming May polls.
While she finds it “unfortunate” for Roque, President Duterte’s eldest daughter said his withdrawal is a “positive thing” for HNP.
“It is very unfortunate that Sec. Roque has a health issue and we wish him to get better soon but one less candidate in the line-up is a positive thing for the party because HNP members only want a list of 12 names,” she said.
Asked if HNP will soon announce the final 12-man slate, Duterte-Carpio said they will just “wait and see” until election day.
HNP is endorsing the senatorial bids of Senators Cynthia Villar, Koko Pimentel and Sonny Angara; former senators Jinggoy Estrada, J.V Ejercito, Bong Revilla and Pia Cayetano; Maguindanao Rep. Zajid Mangudadatu, Ilocos Norte Gov. Imee Marcos, former Bureau of Corrections chief Ronald dela Rosa, former Special Assistant to the President Bong Go, former Presidential legal adviser Francis Tolentino and journalist Jiggy Manicad. /muf
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.