Harry Roque withdraws Senate bid
MANILA, Philippines – Former presidential spokesperson Harry Roque on Friday withdrew his candidacy for senator.
“It is with a truly heavy heart that I announce the withdrawal of my senatorial bid,” Roque said in a statement.
“I have recently undergone a percutaneous coronary intervention following the discovery of an unstable angina coronary disease earlier this week. In the days since the procedure, I have been forced to confront the reality of my physical situation and what it ultimately means for my aspirations to public service,” he added.
He thanked those who have been “supportive of his candidacy.”
“I wish to thank all who have been so kind and supportive of my candidacy. I ran for senator because I wanted to be of service in a way that I know I will be highly effective. Whatever they may think of my politics, those who have seen my work in both the public and private sector can attest to what I would have brought to the Senate. Unfortunately, for the moment, it seems that God has other plans,” he said.
“It is my sincere hope that I will someday again have the honor to serve the Filipino people as a legislator, or in whatever other capacity I may be of service. I continue to support our President and this administration and wish only the best for our country. God bless us all!” he added. /muf
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.