Close  
  • share this

Saudi FM says global outcry over Khashoggi ‘hysterical’

/ 07:28 AM October 28, 2018

In this Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2018, file photo, Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir speaks to journalists in Jakarta, Indonesia. Al-Jubeir says the global outcry over the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi has become ‘hysterical.’ AP FILE

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Saudi Arabia’s top diplomat said Saturday that the global outcry and media focus on the killing of a Saudi journalist earlier this month has become “hysterical” as he urged the public to wait for the results of an investigation before ascribing blame to the kingdom’s top leadership.

Jamal Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist critical of Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was killed by Saudi agents at the kingdom’s consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.

ADVERTISEMENT

“This issue has become fairly hysterical,” Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said. “I think people have assigned blame to Saudi Arabia with such certainty before the investigation is complete.”

Some of those implicated in Khashoggi’s killing are close to Prince Mohammed, who is the kingdom’s heir apparent. His condemnation of the killing as “heinous” and “painful” has so far failed to ease suspicions that such a high-level operation could have been carried out without his knowledge.

FEATURED STORIES

Al-Jubeir addressed the mounting skepticism around the crown prince’s alleged involvement. He was speaking in response to questions from Western journalists at an annual conference of international officials, including U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis, in Bahrain.

“We have made clear that we are going to have a full and transparent investigation, the results of which will be released. We have made it very clear that those responsible will be held responsible,” he said, adding that the kingdom has also put in place mechanisms to ensure this does not happen again.

“We’re trying to uncover what happened. We know that a mistake was committed. We know that people exceeded their authority and we know that we’re investigating them,” he said.

But he cautioned that “investigations take time.”

“Unfortunately, there has been this hysteria in the media about Saudi Arabia’s guilt before the investigation is completed,” he said.

Turkey alleges a 15-member hit squad was sent to Istanbul to kill the journalist, a onetime Saudi insider who became an outspoken critic of Prince Mohammed in columns for The Washington Post. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said the three others in the group of 18 who have been detained in Saudi Arabia were consulate employees.

Saudi Arabia has said five officials, including two who worked directly under the crown prince, have been relieved of their posts. Al-Jubeir on Saturday said six in total were dismissed. King Salman has assigned his son, the crown prince, to oversee the restructuring of the kingdom’s intelligence bodies in the aftermath of the killing. /cbb

ADVERTISEMENT

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Jamal Khashoggi, Mohammed bin Salman, news, Saudi Arabia
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.