Close  
  • share this

Woman mistakenly lights up dynamite instead of candle

/ 03:51 PM September 08, 2018

A woman from Connecticut, USA, was injured after she made the mistake of lighting a stick of dynamite, which she thought was a candle.

The 30-year-old victim lit up one of the supposed candles her family found in their home’s basement. They were apparently left there by the previous tenant. They couldn’t buy emergency lighting because the nearby Home Depot branch had closed for the night, reports ABC 7.

ADVERTISEMENT

What she thought to be a candle was actually a quarter stick of dynamite. The explosion blew out one of the house’s windows and severely injured the woman’s face. One of her hands was also seriously injured and might lose several fingers.

The whole family was home at the time, but no other injuries were reported. The victim was quickly taken to Bridgeport Hospital and then transferred to Yale New Haven Hospital.

FEATURED STORIES

The Bridgeport Fire Department and Connecticut State Police did a thorough search of the house and the surrounding homes. They only found one other stick from the first house. Authorities detonated the wayward explosive as a precaution.  Alfred Bayle /ra

 

RELATED STORIES:

Japanese police detain teen for knife possession, release him on technicality

Hero dog that rescued 12 lives in 2017 Mexico quake honored with statue

Chinese woman with marriage problems bites random train passenger

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Accident, blast injury, Candle, dynamite
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.