MNLF frees up to six hostages—authoritiesBy Jamie Elona, Julliane Love De Jesus |INQUIRER.net
MANILA, Philippines— Up to six hostages were released Tuesday by members of the Moro National Liberation Front who have been on a standoff with the military at a village in Zamboanga City, authorities said.
Chief Inspector Ariel Huesca, Region 9 police spokesman, said five hostages, including two children were freed around 7 a.m. from Talon Talon through a negotiation led by Police Senior Inspector Joseph Ortega, with Teodiver Arquiza of TV 11 and Felicimo Ramos of Brigada.
They were identified as Mercedita Hasinun, 45; one Nurhisma, 18; Judith,15; Aira,7; and Binsal, 9.
The victims, residents of Mamampang, are now under the custody of police, he said.
In its Twitter account earlier on Tuesday, the Armed Forces of the Philippines said “five children and one adult were released in Barangay Talon Talon”.
“MNLF Misuari group is requesting for water and bread,” the military said.
On Monday, MNLF members and government troops clashed in Zamboanga City, which also left at least six people dead.